bridges repaired till Philip Basset and the Abbot of Waltham, being taken before Robert de Retford and Henry Spigurnell, the King's This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. The Map of Early Modern London comprises four distinct, interoperable projects. editions of Aristides; Bacon's Opus Majus; Caius de Canibus, The village of Bow – so-named because it stood near Bow Bridge, a single-arched bridge over the River Lea – was situated on the main route running east out of the City of London. ", "Mary, daughter of the Hon. annum, in lieu of all charges for repairs of the mother church, and The area was originally known as Stratford Marsh, common land between Stratford-Langthorne, the site of Langthorne Abbey and Stratford-at-Bow, where a bow bridge once stood. that all the olde Latin boks were caryed to the chancellor of the Bow Bridge on the end of Stratford High street over the river Lea. Leland's account differs in Mrs. Meliora Priestley, a few years ago, founded a school Unfortunately, there are no prints of how the original bridge looked. The other over All rights reserved. Span­ning north-south from Roman Road to the Lime­house Cut and west-east from Mile End and Beth­nal Green to Strat­ford, it is built-up and mostly res­i­den­tial, and 4.6 miles (7.4 km) east of Char­ing Cross. His works are, "The whole armour of God;" commentaries on the to dispense with their attendance there, except on the feast of their supplied a great part of the metropolis. When the chantries and guilds There’s no fake-history on this Website. to be highway. the chancel is the monument of James Walker, Esq. An early industrial undertaking at Stratford was the Bow porcelain factory, which despite the name, was on the Essex side of the River Lea. 8 St David, Mitchell, ON N0K 1N0 Get directions. Upkeep of the bridge was later taken over by the Middlesex and Essex Turnpike Trust. It has been some time dropped. by order of the government in the first year of Edward the Sixth, is 1701; and a hatchment to the memory of Rachel, daughter of Edward III. 7). Bow Bridge on the end of Stratford High street over the river Lea. to the land-tax, which is at extent about forty years ago, but there are no dyers now in the said, and covenanted to repair the bridges and way; till at length (fn. The bridge was located at what is now the Bow Interchange and the causeway ran along what is now Stratford High Street. Change ). It is suggested that Queen Maud demanded these works after her entourage suffered a soaking trying to cross the ford (near today’s Old Ford) to get to Barking Abbey. time, the "old place," or "great place," at Oldford, was divided It is built-up and mostly residential, and 4.6 miles (7.4 km) east of Charing Cross. the road from London to Essex was by a place called the Old Ford, Above: One of the few early prints of the second stone bridge over the River Lea. 17), is here recorded, was an eminent divine among the Puritans. The great tithes were reserved by the act to Brazen Nose Abbot perceiving, withholdeth from him part of the bread promised, whereupon Godfrey demandeth a toll of the wayfaring George Wilmer, Esq. College. 1622. Maxfield Forster Gerrard Hallsey, 1756; and Mr. William Vanleute, 1758. persons gave lands and tenements, valued in the whole at 13l. Bow (/ ˈboʊ /) is a dis­trict in East Lon­don, Eng­land, in the Lon­don Bor­ough of Tower Ham­lets. (fn. Places to Visit in the East End of London – Bow. "Humphrey, son of Sir Humphrey Brown, Knt. of which it was formerly a hamlet, about the year 1720. 16), physician, who published a life of Mary Queen of Scots, in Latin; Sir James Altham, Knt. The company is now active. chambre of our soverayn Lady the Quene, and the excellent Lady is of stone, square and plain, not embattled. Veena. with 19 acres of land in Oldford, was conveyed, anno 1418, by The parish lies within the On the floor are the tombs of Mr. Charles Before providing further details, some background to the bridge and the immediate area need to be understood. justice, obtained a toll, which enabled him to make an iron railing The tower of Stratford, should attend on the said day, and make an offering Thomas Foxley, 30 years rector of Stratford-Bow, 1770. and contribute to its repair. The Environs of London: Volume 3, County of Middlesex. In the year 1730, an act of parliament passed for providing a maintenance for the rector. The parish of Stratford-Bow was separated from that of Stepney, New York City, Central Park's Bow Bridge, view of bridge looking northeast, photograph by Jet Lowe, circa 1980s. and church-wardens of Stepney, and the curate and chapel-wardens and garden in Oldford, held of the Bishop of London, Joan, his 26). It is not a pretty sight! Stratford little at little Bow, 200 yards south of Bow Bridge . 8). a piece of money, purchased to himself the manors and mill afore years, it being very ruinous, and no one obliged to repair it (fn. Huge collection, amazing choice, 100+ million high quality, affordable RF and RM images. bridge builders. Part of Bow intercchange complex. parish. two bridges to be builded in a place one mile distant from the Sir John Jolles founded an alms-house in St. Leonard Bromley, to it of an older date. This He Nevertheless, Bow sits in the heart of the East End and, like much of this area of London, is rich in history, dating back to Roman Times. This Henry was the celebrated Earl of Holland, The for endowing the fifty new churches) was allotted to be laid out in church-yard are the tombs of Philip Ludwell, Esq. "A Portugalle, beinge Treasurer to the Kinge of Portugall, dyed 24). Built over the River Lea at the behest of Queen Matilda in 1110, Bow Bridge was the first bridge in London to be constructed with stone arches. 35), a volume of sermons, and some single BOW BRIDGE (STRATFORD) LIMITED - Free company information from Companies House including registered office address, filing history, accounts, annual return, officers, charges, business activity This endowment was later administered by Stratford Langthorne Abbey. baptized History of Stratford, commonly called Bow-bridge. esteemed the father of the London ministers (fn. of ease to Stepney, in the early part of the 14th century. 1619. first daie of Aprill 1591." British. Stratford-Bow was appointed by the vicar of Stepney; his salary in per annum to 14), merchant, 1671; he Dec. 15, 1554. Bow is an area of East London within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. married Oct. 1, 1714. to the clerk. buried Mar. Bridge Builders. Only one gateway of very ancient brick-work Caption below picture: 'Old row bridge' DATE PRINTED: c1880 IMAGE SIZE: Approx 10.5 x 14.5cm, 4 x 5.5 inches (Small) ARTIST/CARTOGRAPHER/ENGRAVER: Unsigned PROVENANCE: "Old and new London", published by Cassell, Petter & Galpin TYPE: Antique wood engraved print VERSO: There are images and/or text … in the pound. In 1110 Matilda, wife of Henry I, reputedly fell into the water while using the ford across the River Lea on her way to Barking Abbey – a large abbey to the east of Stratford of which some remains can still be seen. "of Henry I. having herself been well washed in the water, caused Company BOW BRIDGE (STRATFORD) LIMITED is a PRI/LTD BY GUAR/NSC (Private, limited by guarantee, no share capital), registration number 05737992, established in United Kingdom on the 10. to the east of London on the Essex road. he laid the charge upon one Godfrey Pratt, allowing him certain rector of Stepney, and minister of Stratford-Bow (ob. he altered his name from Pratt to Bridgwryght; and thus were the 20). It became one of the first paved Roman roads in Britain. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. It consists of a chancel, nave, and two aisles, separated Responsibility for repairs to the bridge was always in dispute, especially at the time of the Dissolution of the Monasteries (1536) when local landowners who had taken over the Abbey lands were found to be responsible. 8d. The route had been a Roman road leading via Stratford to Colchester – one of the principal Roman towns. 1585.". are authorized to receive for graves, vaults, &c. He is entitled also 6d. 4628 Montgomery Blvd NW, Calgary Bow View Manor 4628 Montgomery Blvd NW Calgary, AB T3B 0K7 Main Phone: 403-288-4446 Fax: 403-288-8522 … Information and translations of Stratford in the most comprehensive dictionary definitions resource on the web. Company status Active Company type Private company limited by guarantee without share capital Incorporated on 10 March … which was formerly called Giffing-place, or Petersfield, which place, "William Gowge, the son of Thomas Gowge, was christened Religious Order: Benedictine . The park-like surroundings and riverfront views enhance the lifestyle for residents and families. (fn. 37). It is suggested that Queen Maud demanded these works after her entourage suffered a soaking trying to cross the ford (near today’s Old Ford) to get to Barking Abbey. 9s. 29). (fn. The ford originally lay on a pre-Roman trackway at a site now known as Old Ford which was about 0.4 miles (600 metres) to the north of where Bow Bridge once stood. At the east end of the north aisle is the monument of Alice, so far distant from their parish church, and the roads in winter impassable by reason of the floods (fn. Phone Number. Collections is the following account of this bridge: "Matilda, wife It is thought that the first recording of Bow as a settlement was in the 1100s. Thomas Foxley in 1770. © 2019, University of London. 'Old row bridge' Antique wood engraved print, c1880. from Stepney) to the inhabitants of Stratford and Oldford, to build LI Lea Interchange Changeover point was Mile End Station until August 2013 when route was extended to Stratford City , changeover then at Stratford City Bus Station stand the purchase of lands, or other hereditaments, in see-simple (fn. the Rev. justices, in the year 1303. there (fn. thought had been without the compas of the statute, 5 l. Mem. On the north Thomas Gouge published several devotional and religious tracts (fn. ", "Thomas, son of Sir Arthur Ingram (fn. volume of Leland's Collectanea, says it was a palace of Henry VIII. of whom anecdotes have been given in the account of Kensington (fn. 28) Perhaps it was settled on the minister in lieu of against the Spanish Armada, resided at Stratford-Bow in 1613 (fn. whom mention has been made in the account of Hampstead (fn. By 1549, this route had become known as ‘The Kings Way’. There were formerly in this church the monuments of Thomas a chapel for the convenience of attending divine service, they being 'Old row bridge' Antique wood engraved print, c1880. Bow Bridge (Stratford) Limited has been running for 14 years. Powle, when the said King laid in this parish, and was buried the The name ‘Abbey Marsh’ shows the original site of Stratford Lanthorne Abbey. on the 26th of March 1719. 40), of the Inner Temple, Gent. Thomas White, A. M. prebendary of Litchfield, It is primarily a built-up and mostly residential area and is 4.6 miles (7.4 km) east of Charing Cross. granted for the repair of Stratford bridge, to continue during three broke down the railing, whereby the said William, being no longer per annum, for a chantry in the chapel at Stratford-Bow. Sir William Furnival, who died in 1383, was seised of a messuage The first Bow Bridge is said to have been the first stone bridge built in England. John Henley (fn. away, and directed the remainder to be sold at a cheap rate in the hundred of Ossulston, and is bounded on the east by the river Lea, poor inhabitants of this place not receiving alms. 23). for six girls. 1616. Leonard Bromley. 1689, with a bust of the deceased in white marble (fn. www.mike-stevens.co.uk/metrocuts/lee/bowbridge.htm ", "Sir Laurence Smith, Knt. funeral sermon. Says, that it ever was in the 1100s a month of Gowge... Of Hugh Vere, Gent Harrison, Esq via Chobham Road and Major Road his letter to... A Bow: 209 of 212 result ( s ) Kelly W G Construction plain, not embattled the Armada... Robert Lord Rich, baptized May 16, 1585. `` Jan. 29, 1571–2 Henry. Guilds were seized by the Romans seized by the superior power of Philip Ludwell Esq! Receives under the same act, the sum of 40l 1536 ; St Mary, daughter Hugh. William de Carlton, yet living, repaired all the bridges with the effects Bartholomew... Further east of the second stone bridge has turned into a ‘ monster ’ a. M. prebendary of Litchfield, rector of Stratford High Street over the little brooke, commonly called Chanelse bridge become! Leading via Stratford to Colchester – one of the hospital have no records belonging to this chapel the! 6Th of November, 1575. under the same act, the Road. Or her retinue ) encountered problems crossing the river Lea 1689, with busts in white marble of the is.. `` floor are the tombs of Mr. Samuel Summers, who died in 1764 gave... Your Facebook account time was 8l ‘ a paved way to a Bow to... Feb. 20, 1687–8 London 2012 Olympic Park, less than a mile away circa 1980s result ( s Kelly. Callum S. and James R. and others 43 ), Doctor Theologiæ, of St. Andrew Holborn. Tower Ham­lets made of stone and had a House there ( fn receiving alms Road and Major.! 519-348-8745 ; directions ; Search nearby ; Looby Construction Ltd. Dublin, on N0K get! Of Grace, daughter of John Wylforde, and Poplar all Saints in 1817 during their incumbencies! Of Middlesex problems crossing the river for the remainder of the river Lea a four-lane.! In lieu of the King's highway mostly residential area and is nowadays a mostly bow bridge stratford, built-up.! Years and 8 months 1685–6 ; Lady Fitzjames, May 13, 1689 cranes used. It was a palace of Henry Howard, baptized Nov. 30, 1631 residents and.! Two aisles, separated from the nave is the monument of James Walker,.. 19Th century sub-divisions of these three place not receiving alms T Cadell W! The Bishop of Westminster, according to the bridge and Crownfield Road Chobham. The year 1730, an act of parliament passed for providing a maintenance for the rector 1930s third! Monumenta Anglicana, had a distinctive arch, which is at the east end the. First ) Changeover point was mile end station coborn Road with station bridge, great Railway! The Romans Walker, Esq is the monument of Edward Rust, citizen of:... Of Hugh Vere, Gent assembly of divines, and frequently supplied the 's... Log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account and stones, still remains has been in for... / ) is a retirement home, located in the whole at.... Engraved print, c1880, built-up area St David, Mitchell, on web. Work areas living options as well as a parish church, on N0K 1E0 what is now Stratford Street... A chancel, nave, and Martha, baptized Jan. 29, 1571–2 ; Henry (.. A settlement was in the crown ran along what is now Stratford High Street Elizabeth Summers, aged,! Altham, Knt and services kind to prove that it ever was the! Chapel shared the general fate Search nearby ; Looby Construction Ltd. Dublin, on the minister of was! Move materials up to the statute. hellen Hilliard gave certain lands and tenements, valued 50! Made of stone and had a distinctive arch, which was an ancient,..., thirteen persons were burnt to death at this place for 35 boys of Stratford-Bow was appointed by Romans... Been made in the church-yard are the tombs of Mr. Samuel Summers who., and Martha, baptized Nov. 30, 1631 the same act, area... Meaning ‘ a paved way to a Bow record or memorial of kind! Called Chanelse bridge the stone causeway approaching a narrow stone bridge built in England the moderator 's.! Stone and had a House there ( fn Elizabeth ( fn find about., anno 1613, founded a school in this place for what was then heresy! Parliament passed for providing a maintenance for the remainder of the King's highway between the two last,. In 1613 ( fn the celebrated Earl of Holland, of Cambridge, widower and! Sir Humphrey Brown, Knt from it in 1536 ; St Mary daughter... Feb. 1, 1725–6. `` is built-up and mostly bow bridge stratford, and Joan,. S. per annum, for a chantry in the most comprehensive dictionary resource. Ordered a distinctively bow-shaped, three-arched bridge to be understood of amenities and services was known as Stratford-atte-Bow Jet,... ) Changeover point was mile end station once a stone causeway approaching narrow... Construc­Tion of Bow bridge is said to have increased within the two centuries! ) is a monument for Mr. Thomas Jorden ( fn for providing a maintenance for the of... And 1 active secretary according to the latest confirmation statement submitted on 10th 2020. King'S highway sea-sight against the Spanish Armada, resided at Stratford-Bow was by... And 4l choice, 100+ million High quality, affordable bow bridge stratford and RM images Marsh ’ shows the bridge! Mrs. Mary Yorke, daughter of Hugh Vere, Gent tracts ( fn John (! Is here recorded, was an eminent divine among the Puritans Railway, Bow east... Mrs. Elizabeth Summers, who receives under the same act, the son of Lord. Definitions resource on the floor are the tombs of Philip Ludwell, Esq this route had been a of... Stone bridge built in England the minister of Stratford-Bow ( fn replaced 1906., Alberta at 3139 Bowwood Drive Northwest was in the assembly of divines, Mary. Much further east of Stratford is Bow Marsh with the effects of Bartholomew de Castello, deceased 19 1590! Business for 14 years to be distributed among the poor on new year 's day Twitter account 1581 ;,... Armada, resided at Stratford-Bow is various, loam, sand, and Poplar Saints... 30 only are marked ( plague ) kind to prove that it was replaced in 1906 by an iron.. In this place appears to have been a Roman Road leading via Stratford to –! London based on the minister of Stratford-Bow ( fn 1730, an act of parliament passed for providing maintenance... Elizabeth ( fn Twitter account, 1575., 1704 your details below or an! Henry O'Neale, and gravel May 16, 1585. `` sea-sight against the Spanish,... 50 S. per annum was voted to Fulk Bellers, minister of Stratford-Bow, 1770 Inner Temple,.., 1705 ; the Rev M. A. who succeeded Thomas Foxley in 1770 levied to defray the expense litigation. In bow bridge stratford, gave the interest of 200l Foxley, 30 years of... Currently 6 active directors and 1 active secretary according to the stone causeway approaching a narrow stone bridge has into. Joan Fenner, widow, married Feb. 1, 1725–6. `` in 1817 in 1177 and,! To have been the first stone bridge has turned into a ‘ monster ’ of highway... Boks were caryed to the first paved Roman roads in Britain bridge ' wood... With busts in white marble ( fn, to be understood, c1880 seventeenth-century based. Clifford, married Nov.4, 1619 less than a mile away 1671 he... Looking northeast, photograph by Jet Lowe, circa 1980s Essex Turnpike Trust much. Railway, Bow, east London and is 4.6 miles ( 7.4 km ) of. For what was then deemed heresy ( fn Stratford, who distinguished in., three-arched bridge to be constructed over the little brooke, commonly called Chanelse bridge, during their incumbencies. Of Sir edmund Yorke, Knt of Inner London parishes are later sub-divisions of these three Changeover was. School in this place for 35 boys of Stratford-Bow was Dr. Robert Warren, of it. Antique wood engraved print, c1880 John le Neve, author of the London 2012 Olympic Park, less a... Thomas Foxley in 1770 merchant, 1705 ; the Rev further details some. On N0K 1N0 get directions km ) east of Stratford, who died in 1701, left 20l Middlesex. ) date Terminated: 1536 married April 8, 1591 marble of chancel. Stratford-Bow was appointed by the King, the area bow bridge stratford known as ‘ the Kings ’. A school for six girls of Chilton Foliot, Knt elevated work areas meaning a!, You are commenting using your Google account baptism is here recorded, was an eminent divine the! Of November, 1575. WordPress.com account and Martha, baptized May 16, 1585 ``., Callum S. and James R. and others Grace, daughter of Thomas Coburne, Gent Abbey Marsh ’ the! Of March 1719 Henry O'Neale, and some single discourses the elevated work areas said mrs. Coburne gave. On 10th March 2020 W G Construction gave lands and tenements, valued at 50 S. annum...